Tips for keeping warm and safe during the holiday season

With the temperature dropping along the Coast, the use of in-home fireplaces and space heaters is on the rise, which can cause severe problems if not properly handled.

For fireplaces, keep the chimney regularly cleaned to avoid potentially flammable buildup inside.

It is also recommended to use hard-seasoned wood to burn and to avoid green wood which can pop and cause sparks.

For heating units and gas fireplaces, it is recommended to have them serviced every year to make sure everything is clean and working properly.

For both heaters and fireplaces, make sure to keep any combustible material such as rugs and carpets away from the vicinity. Joshua Sullivan with Top Hat Fireplace Store said, “Well, you’re burning it inside your house. That’s where you live. That’s where your family lives. You want that area and that part of your home to be safe and comfortable. You don’t want to have that in the back of your mind that something could happen. That’s the biggest thing that I could say.”

According to the National Fire Protection Association, heating equipment is a leading cause of fires in U.S. homes.

Categories: Local News, News