Gulfport house fire claims home

A Gulfport family survives a house fire over the weekend – thanks to their smoke alarm.

Harrison County Fire Rescue received a call at 2:30 Saturday morning about a house fire on Steeplechase Drive, off Landon Road.

When responders arrived, the home was already too engulfed in flames to save it. The entire family and their cat were waiting outside.

When the smoke alarm went off, the family had enough time to collect themselves and leave the burning home, a powerful reminder that smoke alarms can save lives.

Fire Chief Pat Sullivan says, “What happened was the smoke alarm was going off. One of the family members heard the smoke alarm beeping and went to investigate. When they investigated, they discovered that house was on fire. They were able to get the other folks in the house that were asleep out of the house and call 911. Unfortunately, the home was destroyed in the fire, but the people are alive today because of the smoke alarm.”

Harrison County Fire Rescue also suggests people have fire extinguishers in their homes and follow proper fire procedures when evacuating.

As a reminder, you should learn two ways out of every room in your home. Also practice getting low to move to your exits in case there is smoke.

Categories: Featured, Local News, News