Man in critical condition after fire on Indiana Avenue

0

A morning house fire caused by a space heater has left a man in critical condition with severe burns.

Gulfport Fire and Harrison County Fire Services worked to control the fire on Indiana Avenue that started just before 10:30 this morning.

- Advertisement -

The victim was rescued from inside the house and life-flighted to USA Burn Center in Mobile where his condition is listed as critical.

Gulfport Fire Chief Mike Beyerstedt said, “I’m sure they will be transferred to a burn center after they are stabilized, if they can get them stabilized. We are just hoping for the best for that person right now. The guys did a great job of getting inside quickly, you know, personal risk and were able to find this person and pull them out. We just hope that we are able to save them.”

Chief Beyerstedt confirmed the fire was started by a space heater being too close to chair. The chief cautions those using this method of heating.