West Harrison Evacuated for Gas Leak

Students at West Harrison High School were evacuated from the building early Wednesday morning for a gas leak.

A maintenance worker was cutting grass at the school when he hit a gas line, causing the leak. The evacuation was ordered at 8:30 a.m. After CenterPoint Energy cut off the gas and fire officials determined that no gas was leaked inside the buildings, students were allowed back in the school.

Pat Sullivan, Harrison County Fire Chief, says, “We shut down County Farm Road for about an hour. We also allowed the students to come back in the school once we determined that there was no danger inside and we felt that it was safer since the leak was outside that the students be inside. So we let the students come back inside. CenterPoint Energy arrived on the scene. They’ve cut the gas off and they’re gonna’ do the repair on the gas.”

Students returned to class just before 10 a.m.

Categories: Local News, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *