Mississippi Power Provides Electrical Fire Training

Home electrical fires account for 51,000 fires each year, resulting in 500 deaths. Electricity can be a dangerous thing, and Mississippi Power wants to make sure everyone stays safe.

When firefighters arrive on a scene, their adrenaline is pumping, unsure of what they may come across. Bill Snyder, a Mississippi Power spokesperson, says, "These guys, they never know what’s going to happen when they go out on a call. It could be something routine, you never know, it could be an electrical situation where it’s not routine."

Mississippi Power has been teaming up with local fire departments and law enforcement agencies along the Coast for electrical safety training for almost 30 years. The course serves to remind first responders of what to do should they come across a situation where electricity is involved.

Local firefighters tell News 25 they don’t typically see electrical fires every day, so this course serves as a good refresher for them. Jeffery Ponson, Ocean Springs Fire Chief, says, "It helps the newer guys that we have and the older guys to get a refresher course on the dos and don’ts of electricity and what it can do to you, how it can help you, but also hurt you in the same sense."

First responders receive this training when they go through their initial certification, but due to the infrequency of these emergencies, Mississippi Power tries to conduct these refresher courses annually so the information never gets lost. Snyder also says, "You never know what’s going to happen around electricity. You have to respect it, but we don’t want them to fear it. We want them to respect it and know what to do if a situation arises."

Local firefighters found the course useful. Brandon Bloodworth, a firefighter, says, "There were a couple of new things that came about per Mississippi Power’s safety program. It’s good to get informed, be up to date with all the new safety measures."

For a first responder, there’s no such thing as being too prepared. Mississippi Power reminds folks that water is a conductor of electricity and to never attempt to put out an electrical fire with water.

Categories: Local News, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *