MDEQ issues one beach water contact advisory and lifts one
The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ), through its Beach Monitoring Program, issued a water contact advisory Friday for Station 11 (Gulfport East Beach). This segment of beach is not closed; however, there may be an increased risk of illness associated with swimming in this area. When water samples show that levels are safe for human contact, the advisory will be lifted.
An advisory was lifted for Station 9 (Gulfport Harbor Beach). Water samples at this station show the area has attained acceptable bacteria levels. There are four advisories still in effect across the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
The advisory is issued for:
- Station 11 — Gulfport East Beach — the extent is from Tegarden Rd. east to Anniston Ave.
The advisory is lifted for:
- Station 9 — Gulfport Harbor Beach — the extent from 20th to Thornton Ave.
Advisories remain in effect for:
- Station 3 — Waveland Beach — the extent is from Oak Blvd. east to Favre St.
- Station 5 — Pass Christian West Beach — the extent is from Fort Henry Ave. east to Elliot St.
- Station 6 — Pass Christian Central Beach — the extent is from Henderson Ave. east to Hiern Ave.
- Station 8 — Gulfport West Beach — the extent is from Maria Ave. east to Camp Ave.
Swimmers are reminded that the Beach Task Force has a standing recommendation that swimming not occur during or within 24 hours of a significant rainfall event.