Long Beach School District to reopen August 6th, 2020
The Long Beach School District will begin classes as scheduled on August 6th, 2020 in a traditional manner. Until further notice, all students will follow the 2020-2021 school calendar as adopted by the LBSD Board of Trustees in February 2020.
- Distance learning options will be provided for students who cannot attend school due to documented health concerns. If you choose the distance learning option for your child, the child will be required to maintain that learning option for the entire semester. Students participating in the distance learning option will not be allowed to participate in athletic or extracurricular activities.
- Each student will have their temperature checked daily by school staff. Any student who refuses to have their temperature checked will not be allowed to attend classes. Students will a temperature of 100 or more shall be isolated and shall be immediately picked up from school. Students may not return to school until they are symptom free without medication for one full school day.
- Students in grades K-6 will be self-contained.
- Students in grades 7-12 will have traditional schedules.
- Recess and enrichment classes will be provided as normal at the K-6 level.
- Students will be arranged to the extent possible in all classroom settings to promote social distancing. Social distancing guidelines will be followed whenever and wherever possible in each school building. Each school will establish procedures to effectively ensure social distancing guidelines are met to the most reasonable extent possible to include recess and gymnasiums.
- Class changes at the middle school and high school will be staggered as to minimize overcrowding and will ensure all hallway movement is the same direction whenever and wherever possible.
- Staff will ensure that all classrooms, bathrooms, cafeterias, and all high traffic areas are routinely cleaned and sanitized throughout the school day.
- Each school will create and implement a breakfast and lunch plan whereby social distancing guidelines are met while in the cafeteria. This will result in classes alternating between eating in the cafeteria and the classroom .
- Parents/visitors will not be allowed to proceed any further than the front office area. Classrooms, playgrounds, and cafeterias are strictly off limits to anyone other than school personnel.
- Parents/visitors must wear face coverings while in the front office area.
- All large gatherings shall be prohibited including assemblies and back-to school nights. Athletic and activity events such as choir will be dictated by the policies of the MHSAA.
- Field trips are prohibited.
- Parent/Teacher meetings shall be held via video conference or telephone until further notice.
Policy on LBSD Student Transportation:
- The LBSD strongly encourages parents to transport their children to and from school.
- For the school district to ensure social distancing most effectively while on the school bus the following shall be implemented:
- The LBSD will not provide transportation to or from any daycare facility or military base outside the school district limits.
- The LBSD will not provide transportation to any student who resides one mile or less from the school the student is attending.
- The LBSD will transport all students other than those listed above. Bus drivers and students will be required to wear masks or an appropriate face covering while on the bus. Any student who refuses to wear a mask or an appropriate face covering will not be allowed transportation services. Buses shall be sanitized between each bus route.
Policy on LBSD Athletics, Band, Choir, Cheerleading, and any activity directed by the Mississippi High School Athletic Association:
- The LBSD will follow all MHSAA guidelines and recommendations as it pertains to athletic events and activities. School districts must abide by MHSAA rules and regulations as a member of the organization. If we choose to do otherwise, our students would not be allowed to participate in any sanctioned MHSAA event, thus eliminating our students from the opportunity to participate.
Policy on Positive Test Results within the LBSD:
- The LBSD will follow the Mississippi Department of Health’s guidance on mandating student and staff quarantine as related to exposure. Furt h ermor e, the LBSD will notify parents of students who may have been in close contact with a positive Covid-19 person IF the LBSD is made aware of the positive t est.
- Students who test positive for Covid-19 must not attend school for 14 calendar days from the date of the positive test result. Students may not attend classes while waiting on results.
- LBSD employees who test positive for Covid-19 must not attend work for 14 calendar days from the date of the positive test result. Employees may not work while waiting on test results. The LBSD Office of Human Resources will ensure all federal and state guidelines are followed regarding employees who test positive.
- The LBSD will follow the advice and guidance of the Mississippi Department of Health in determining if an entire classroom and/or school must close due to positive results.
- Parents shall notify the LBSD immediately upon his/her child receiving a positive Covid-19 test result.
LBSD Policy on the Wearing of Masks:
- At this time, masks are STRONGLY recommended for both students and staff. Masks may be made available for students and staff members who wish to wear one based on the accessibility and availability of purchase. Due to possible recommendation changes made by either federal, state, and local agencies, we strongly recommend that you provide and be prepared for your student to wear a mask or an appropriate face covering while at school.