Gulfport Fire responds to chemical leak at Armed Forces Retirement Home
This afternoon, Gulfport Fire Department responded to a call from the Armed Forces Retirement Home for a supposed chemical leak.
Once units arrived on scene they realized they were dealing with a chlorine leak. The leak was coming from a building about 150 yards from the main buildings.
Chlorine can be a dangerous chemical to deal with so the firemen had to take all precautions necessary for safety.
They were able to take care of the leak without anyone being injured. Gulfport Fire Chief Mike Beyerstedt said, “We were in full level A encapsulated suits so there was no skin or breathing of the air in the atmosphere. They were completely isolated and we are happy that nobody was injured. None of the maintenance crew was injured and none of our people were injured in mitigating the incident.”