Repairs underway at First United Methodist Church after fire

Repairs are underway at First United Methodist Church in Gulfport from fire damage last month.

The only visible damage is where the fire started, but the soot and smoke are spread throughout the entire building, making the church smell like smoke.

The insulation in the attic, cushions in the pews, and carpet had to be removed to help get rid of the smell.

The church was built in 1912 and still has the majority of the original stained glass so a specialist had to be hired to properly clean it.

Repairs are estimated to cost between $400,000 and $600,000.

While insurance will cover the damages caused by the fire, other issues discovered will be at the church’s expense.

If you are interested in donating to First United Methodist to assist in repairs visit www.fumc-gulfport.org/give.

Categories: Harrison County, Local News, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *