MDEQ lifts two beach water contact advisories in Gulfport; Three advisories remain in effect
The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ), through its Beach Monitoring Program, lifted water contact advisories Wednesday for Station 8 (Gulfport West Beach) and Station 11 (Gulfport East Beach). Water samples at these stations show the areas have attained acceptable bacteria levels. There are three other advisories still in effect across the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
The advisories are lifted for:
- Station 8 — Gulfport West Beach — the extent is from Maria Ave. east to Camp Ave.
- Station 11 — Gulfport East Beach — the extent is from Tegarden Rd. east to Anniston Ave.
Advisories remain in effect for:
- Station 3 — Waveland Beach — the extent is from Oak Blvd. east to Favre St.
- Station 5 — Pass Christian West Beach — the extent is from Fort Henry Ave. east to Elliot St.
- Station 6 — Pass Christian Central Beach — the extent is from Henderson Ave. east to Hiern Ave.
These segments of beach are not closed; however, there may be an increased risk of illness associated with swimming in these areas. When water samples show that levels are safe for human contact, the advisories will be lifted.
Swimmers are reminded that the Beach Task Force has a standing recommendation that swimming not occur during or within 24 hours of a significant rainfall event.