MDEQ lifts five beach advisories
The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ), through its Beach Monitoring Program, lifted water contact advisories Friday for Stations 1, 7, 7A, 10B, and 14. Three other advisories remain in effect.
Advisories are lifted for:
• Station 1 — Lakeshore Beach — near Lakeshore Drive in Bay St. Louis — from the Silver Slipper Casino east to Pointset Ave.
• Station 7 — Pass Christian East Beach — from Espy Ave. east to Hayden Ave.
• Station 7A — Long Beach — near Trautman Ave. — from Oak Gardens Ave. east to Girard Ave.
• Station 10B — East Courthouse Road Beach (Gulfport) — from Courthouse Rd. east to Tegarden Rd.
• Station 14 — Front Beach (Ocean Springs) — from the Yacht Club east to Jackson Ave.
Advisories remain in effect for:
• Station 5 — Pass Christian West Beach — from Fort Henry Ave. east to Elliot St.
• Station 10 — Gulfport Central Beach — from Alfonso Dr. east to Arkansas Ave.
• Station 15 — Shearwater Beach (Ocean Springs) — from Weeks Bayou east to Ashley Pl.
When water samples show that levels are safe for human contact, the advisories will be lifted. Swimmers are reminded that the Beach Task Force has a standing recommendation that swimming not occur during or within 24 hours of a significant rainfall event.
More information about the Mississippi Beach Monitoring Program and the location of beach sampling stations is available at: http://opcgis.deq.state.ms.us/beaches.