House fire pulls a community together

After a fire burned down the home of a Vancleave family, they’re picking up the pieces to rebuild and make it stronger.

The fire began around 2 a.m. Tuesday night while the family was sleeping. The drop in temperatures that night led the family to turn on the heat for the first time this season.

The dirty filter on the central air heater caught fire and while the family tried to stop the blaze, everything they owned burned or sustained water damage.

Thankfully, all members of the family made it out without injury. Vancleave resident Trenton Nicholson said, “Out of a daze and I ran straight for my brother because I smelled smoke. It was getting dark in there. It was getting real dark throughout the whole house. We went out here and tried putting the fire out with the pressure washer and some water hoses, but it didn’t work too well. All of our memories and our family stuff and everybody’s stuff is burnt, but we’re going to make it, we got this.”

Southern Instillation donated supplies as the family starts rebuilding. If you would like to help a GoFundMe was created to get them back on their feet. You can visit the GoFundMe by clicking here.

Categories: Local News, News