Historic hotel in Magee, MS burned to the ground

A historic hotel in Mississippi has burned to the ground.

The fire started at the Scaife Hotel in Magee about 10:30 Monday night. The Magee Fire Department was on the scene throughout the night and into Tuesday morning.

One fireman said it was one of the largest fires he’d fought in 30 years.

The hotel was a transitional home for ex-offenders.

Residents tried to put out the fire with fire extinguishers, but they soon realized they needed more help. All of the residents got out safely.

The hotel dates back to the 1920s and was originally a place to stay for people visiting patients in a nearby tuberculosis hospital.

Categories: Mississippi State News, News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *