Harrison County storm shelters to open Wednesday afternoon
The following Harrison County storm shelters will open at on Wednesday, Oct. 28:
- County Farm Road 361 Shelter 15038 County Farm Road in Gulfport (2 p.m.)
- Saucier Lizana Road 361 Shelter 23771 Saucier Lizana Road in Saucier (2 p.m.)
- D’Iberville High School on Lamey Bridge Road in Biloxi will open at 5 p.m. tonight.
Although a mandatory evacuation has not been issued, it is highly recommended that people who live in low-lying areas or areas that are prone to flooding seek shelter on higher grounds due to the possibility of a life-threatening storm surge.
Please remember that first responders may not be able to reach your home or neighborhood during the duration of the storm, which is expected to make landfall as a strong tropical storm or a category one hurricane.
If you are uncertain if you live in a low-lying area, Harrison County has an interactive map. It can be found here.
Masks will be required at the shelters under the latest executive order from Gov. Tate Reeves.
Coast Transit Authority will provide transportation to and from the shelters. Please call 228-896-8080 to arrange transportation with CTA.
Here are some guidelines on what to bring and not bring to the Harrison County shelters.
- Prescriptions and any other emergency medications
- Extra clothing, pillows, hygiene supplies and other comfort items
- Your child’s stuffed animal
- Blanket or other “lovey”
- Your emergency kit
- Hand sanitizer
- Foods that meet your dietary requirements
- Important personal documents
- Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula and toys
- Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled
- Chargers for any electronic devices you bring with you
- Books, games and other ways to entertain your family and yourself
- Alcoholic beverages
- Illegal drugs
What about pets?
Please make arrangements for your pet before coming to the shelter.
There are some hotels in Harrison County that will accept pets. A list of those hotels can be found here.