$85.5M being spent to restore Gulf Coast
Members of the Gulf Coast Restoration Fund Advisory Board spent months reviewing possible projects to finance with $85.5 million in Restore Act money.
The funds are to help the environment and economy recover after the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Their final recommendation was 14 projects they said would have the biggest economic impact across South Mississippi.
Some of the following funded items include:
- Biloxi’s Saenger Theatre
- University of Southern Mississippi’s state port building
- A new YMCA at Gulfport Highland’s neighborhood
- The Walter Anderson Museum
- An ‘aero strip’ at Stennis Airport
- An expansion of the Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport
Many of the larger projects the advisory committee recommended are for areas in George and Jackson counties.