OCEAN SPRINGS, Miss. (WXXV) — Due to deteriorating weather conditions from Hurricane Sally, and the potential of significant rainfall, the City of Ocean Springs is highly encouraging residents of low-lying areas to evacuate to higher ground.
At 2 p.m. Monday, Jackson County will open two Emergency Centers. One will be located at 13000 Walker Rd, Ocean Springs (St. Martin) and another will be located at 18413 Highway 613, Moss Point, MS (Hurley).
Emergencies can happen suddenly and you may not have time to pack.
However, if you do have time to pack, please consider these tips. Ideas of items pack:
- Prescriptions and any other emergency medications
- Extra clothing, pillows, hygiene supplies, comfort items
- Your child’s stuffed animal, Blanket or other “lovey”
- Your emergency kit
- Foods that meet unusual dietary requirements
- Important personal documents
- Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula and toys
- Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled
- Chargers for any electronic devices
What about pets?
If it’s not safe for you to stay home, it’s not safe for your pet either. However, to maintain a safe and healthy environment in our shelters, pets are not allowed. Please make arrangements for your pet before coming to the shelter.