19 students from Coast named National Merit semifinalists
19 students from South Mississippi are among 210 statewide to be named National Merit Scholarship semifinalists for 2023.
The students were from eight schools, in addition to a homeschooled student.
The National Merit Scholarship Corporation announced the names of more than 16,000 students nationwide this month.
The students will have an opportunity to compete for more than 7,000 National Merit scholarships worth nearly $28 million dollars that will be offered next spring.
Students along the Coast who qualified as National Merit Semifinalists are:
- Biloxi — Scottland Cooper, David McGowan
- Homeschool — Joseph Agler
- St. Patrick — Thomas Owen, Caleb Powell, Juliana Sabagh
- Gulfport — Amando Gazano, Emma Helmert, Kevin Palma Palacios
- West Harrison — Kairi McClintic
- Long Beach — Jack Dean IV, Caleb Haber
- East Central — Ryan Goodwin, Ashton Haddar
- Ocean Springs — Ebenezer Castleman, Matheson Chen, Campbell Furr, Shad Hall, Ian Moran