Some of us are turning our heaters on for the first time in a while due to the cold weather on its way to South Mississippi.
Which means now is the perfect time for some home heating tips to keep you and your family safe.
Harrison County Fire Rescue wants to remind everyone to never use your stove or oven to warm up your house. Also, be mindful of candles and open flames, try not to overfill your fireplace, and double check your space heaters.
Make sure to place space heaters three to five feet from combustible objects. Harrison County Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Mark Hilley said, “Make sure they are working properly. Make sure there’s not any leaks. Today is going to be the time to check it. Don’t wait until three days from now when it gets freezing cold to realize your stuff isn’t working properly. Also, have your propane tanks and stuff filled up. If your heaters run on propane, it is hard to get someone to come out the day you are frozen to fill your tank up.”
Please don’t forget about your pets, pipes, and plants.
Harrison County Fire Rescue will help with smoke alarms and your heater if it happens to have a weird smell once you turn it on.