Every 25 years Gulfport residents are given the opportunity to renew the revenue amount of the franchise agreement held with Mississippi Power Company.
State law requires utility companies to pay 2% of their gross revenue back to the municipality. For the past 50 years, MS Power has given 3% of their revenue in Gulfport back to the city, which is then used to provide city services.
On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 from 7:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m., the City of Gulfport along with many others across the state will be holding a special election. A vote of ‘yes’ means that Mississippi Power Company will continuing giving the city 3% of their revenue in Gulfport for the next 25 years. Voting ‘no’ means that the city will only receive 2%, which is the state minimum. This vote does not change a person’s utility provider or increase their rates.
Voters will need to cast their ballot at the polling location used during municipal elections such as city council or mayoral elections with the exception of residents who vote at Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church. Those citizens will need to vote at the Isiah Fredericks Community Center because that voting site is currently closed.
The polling locations are:
- GASTON HEWES RECREATION CENTER (1A)
- GASTON POINT RECREATION CENTER (1B)
- 19TH STREET COMMUNITY CENTER (1C)
- WESTSIDE COMMUNITY CENTER (2A)
- LYNN MEADOWS DISCOVERY CENTER (2B)
- FRANCIS X. COLLINS LIFETIME COMMUNITY CENTER (2C)
- ISIAH FREDERICKS COMMUNITY CENTER (3A/3B)
- KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS HALL (3C)
- BAYOU VIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (4A)
- ORANGE GROVE LIBRARY (7B)
- LYMAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (7A)
- GULFPORT FIRE STATION #10 (6C)
- PEPSI COLA PLANT (6B)
- THREE RIVERS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (6A)
- ORANGE GROVE WORK CENTER (5C)
- ORANGE GROVE COMMUNITY CENTER (5A/5B)
- HANDSBORO COMMUNITY CENTER (4B)