Coast Transit Authority will begin restricting trips on its fixed-route bus service to those that are for essential travel only.
In a statement released Friday, CTA officials said the bus service is seeing a “significant amount of passengers that are travlinng on non-essential trips that are endangering themselves and others to exposure to the virus.”
As a result, beginning Saturday, CTA is restricting trips to those that are for the purpose of health, nutrition or work only.
To enforce this restriction, CTA will have security on those routes to ensure riders adhere to passenger codes of conduct, restrictions on purpose and social distancing.
Passengers are required to maintain a six-foot distance from the driver and other passengers at all times unless they are traveling together.
In the press release, CTA emphasized that it continues to maintain an increased level of cleaning and disinfecting of all CTA vehicles and providing personal protective equipment for our drivers and maintenance personnel.
Since March 21, the following measures have been implemented on a temporary basis:
1. Fare collection was suspended on all fixed routes and demand response services.
2. All fixed route services were reduced to 90-minute headway intervals only. The BeachComber and Pass Road RT#34 were affected, with an increase from 45 to 90-minute headway intervals. See the CTA website www.coasttransit.com for new route time information.
3. CTA asked that riders use the fixed route services for essential travel only such as healthcare, nutrition and work.
4. Demand response service was restricted to health and nutrition purposes only.
5. Passengers must not sit in the front of the bus. They must maintain social distancing of 6 feet unless traveling together. Passengers must observe cough etiquette, social distancing and must comply with driver instructions or be subject to removal.
6. The Biloxi Transit Center and Gulfport Transit Center was closed to the public.
For additional information call 896-8080 or visit our website at www.coasttransit.com.