The Christmas season officially kicked off in Biloxi this week and with more festivities planned, Biloxi Police are asking everyone to keep safety in mind while enjoying the season.
“Crime tends to rise as the criminals take advantage of all the hustle and bustle during the season,” Biloxi Police Major Christopher De Back says. “And with the increased purchases going on this time of the year, certainly, there’s a lot more opportunity out there.”
Here are some tips to keep in mind.
- Never leave valuables in plain sight in your car
- Always lock your vehicle doors even if you are just running a quick errand
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Don’t leave your purse, bags, cellphone or other personal property lying around
- If out at night, park in a well-lit area
- Make sure to lock up your home when away
- Don’t post on social media that you are out of town
- Have deliveries made when you are home or have someone you trust pick up the package from your front porch
- When shopping online, make sure the website is credible and don’t give unnecessary information
- If you are meeting someone to make a purchase, meet in a public spot such as the police department parking lot
“Enjoy your time with friends and family,” De Back says, “and remember these tips to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable holiday season. And, if you partake in any alcoholic beverages, don’t drive.”