School / Business / Office / Bridge Closings
The following schools are closed on Tuesday AND Wednesday:
Bay St. Louis & Waveland
- The Biloxi School District
- Christian Collegiate Academy
- Grace Baptist Academy Ocean Springs
- Greene County School District
- Hancock County schools
- Jackson County schools
- Long Beach schools
- Moss Point schools
- Pascagoula schools
- Pass Christian schools
- Pearl River County schools
- Picayune schools
- Stone County schools
- Harrison County schools
- Blue Cliff College in Gulfport
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College
- Pearl River Community College
- Virginia College in Biloxi
- Miller-Motte Technical College
The following schools are closed on Tuesday and are UNDECIDED about closing or are OPEN on Wednesday:
- Catholic Diocese of Biloxi
- Gulfport School District (Open Wednesday)
- Holy Trinity Catholic School
- Our Lady Academy
- St. Stanislaus
- Ocean Springs schools
- Sacred Heart Elementary
- William Carey University (Hattiesburg & Tradition Campuses)
- University of Southern Mississippi
The following schools have issued information about closings / openings on Jan. 29, 2014
Please be advised that Pass Christian Public School District, all schools and departments, will be closed on Thursday, January 30, 2014. The district anticipates being open for business on Friday, January 31, 2014.
Harrison County, Long Beach, and Pass Christian Schools are closed also. Gulfport Schools will open as follows: elementary schools begin at 8:30 AM, middle schools begin at 9 AM and high school at 9:30 AM. Please continue to exercise extreme caution when driving today and tomorrow. Stay tuned to the local news for more information on city road and bridge closures. Also visit the Harrison County website at www.co.harrison.ms.us for further information.
The University of Southern Mississippi will reopen at noon on Thursday, Jan. 30, with classes scheduled to resume at 12:30 p.m. on the Gulf Coast and 1 p.m. in Hattiesburg.
Biloxi Public Schools will not conduct classes on Thursday; however, the day will be a Professional Development Day for staff. Staff members are expected to report to their respective schools at the times communicated by principals or supervisors.
The following are offices/bases/businesses that will be closed.
- The Naval Construction Battalion Base in Gulfport (Open Wednesday)
- Mississippi Power Offices in: Hattiesburg, Laurel, Ellisville, Picayune, Poplarville, Lumberton, Purvis, Columbia, Sumrall, Richton, Waynesboro, Bay St Louis, Gulfport, Biloxi, Ocean Springs, Pascagoula, Wiggins, Lucedale and Leakesville. The Meridian offices will remain open at this time, but that could change based on forecast data.
- Ingalls Shipbuilding continues to monitor the winter weather that is expected to impact the Gulf Coast this week. All Ingalls Shipbuilding Gulf Coast facilities are currently operating under normal working conditions. Employees are encouraged to check the company’s emergency information phone line for any work schedule changes and updates. Employees should call 1-877-871-2058 (Press 2 for Ingalls).
- Officials with the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources announced Monday that all oyster reefs will close at 4 p.m. because of hazardous weather conditions.
- The Department of Veterans Affairs Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System has cancelled all Veterans’ medical appointments at its Biloxi, Mobile, Pensacola, and Eglin Air Force Base medical facilities through Jan. 29, due to the anticipated impact of the winter storm on safety and transportation. These VA facilities will be closed Jan. 28-29. The Biloxi VA emergency room will be open.
- Non-essential Biloxi city employees will not report to work Tuesday and all non-emergency city offices will be closed as a result of the expected severe winter weather, and the City Council meetings scheduled for Tuesday will be re-scheduled for later in the week. The city has also activated its 24-hour emergency line at 228-435-6300 with information about scheduling changes and updates. Among the announced closures for Tuesday are Biloxi City Hall, Biloxi Natatorium, Donal M. Snyder Sr. Community Center, Biloxi Visitors Center, Community Development, Parks & Recreation offices at Hiller Park.
- Essential employees will staff the Lopez-Quave Public Safety Center, all city fire stations and the city's Public Works Department.
- Public Works crews are scheduled to begin laying a coat of sand on city bridges and roadways Tuesday at 4 a.m.
- Meantime, Harrison County, which has announced that county facilities will be closed Tuesday, has announced two cold weather shelters will be open: the D'Iberville Civic Center Multi-Purpose Building at 10395 Auto Mall Parkway, and the Salvation Army Building at 2019 22nd, Gulfport.
- Due to the winter storm expected to impact South Mississippi in the coming hours, City Offices of Pascagoula will be closed on Tuesday, January 28. A decision regarding hours for Wednesday, January 29, will be made Tuesday afternoon. Updates can be found online at cityofpascagoula.com, the City of Pascagoula Facebook page or by listening to WMJY Magic 93.7. Pascagoula Municipal Court will also be closed Wednesday. Anyone who was to appear this week will be rescheduled for February 12, 2014 at 1 p.m.
- The trash in unincorporated areas of Jackson County will not be collected tomorrow, Tuesday due to the weather. A decision for Wednesday’s pick-up will be made tomorrow and depend on the weather.
- Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport has cancelled many arriving and departing flights. For a list, please go to http://www.flygpt.com/FlightInfo.
The United States Postal Service will attempt to deliver mail as long as they can tomorrow and possibly Wednesday. They will continue to monitor conditions but do not want to put their drivers at risk.
- Due to the winter storm warning issued for the Gulf Coast of MS for Tuesday, January 28 Coast Transit Authority will operate the following services on Tuesday. Fixed Route Bus Service: All Fixed Route services will operate as scheduled. Transportation to cold weather shelters in Harrison County will be available on the fixed route service. Demand Responie Service: All Demand Response trips in Jackson, Harrison and Hancock counties will be cancelled with the exception of essential medical trips. Beach Bus Stations: All the Beach Bus Stations will be closed. Only essential CTA personnel should report to work.
- Keesler Air Force Base will be closed Tuesday Jan. 28, due to anticipated inclement weather. Emergency essential services will remain available. All personnel should avoid unnecessary travel. The base exchange and commissary facilities will be closed. The only 81st Force Support Squadron operations that will remain open are lodging and the Azalea and Magnolia dining facilities. Dining facility hours of operation will be breakfast 7:30 - 9 a.m., lunch 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. and dinner 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. For the most up-to-date information on Keesler Air Force Base, visit, www.keesler.af.mil or www.facebook.com/KeeslerAFB. For information regarding the 403rd Wing, visit http://www.403wg.afrc.af.mil or www.facebook.com/403wing. Also stay tuned to local television and radio broadcasts for updates.
- All City parks including Beach Park Pier will be closed tomorrow in the interest of safety. Parks and the pier will reopen when the bad weather passes and city offices reopen. Please continue to check Facebook and our website, www.cityofpascagoula.com for updates.
The Following Businesses/Offices/Bridges Have Released Statements About Closures
- The Pascagoula Municipal Court for Wednesday January 29, 2014 has been canceled. All case have been moved to Wednesday February 12, 2014 at 1:0 p. m.
- Gov. Phil Bryant will delay the opening of state offices until 10 a.m. Tuesday in the Jackson metro area due to winter weather and potentially hazardous road conditions. Yesterday, Gov. Bryant gave agency heads the discretion to delay openings of state offices south of I-20 due to potential impacts of winter weather in those areas. Agency heads were also granted the discretion to remain closed Tuesday if weather conditions further deteriorated. Agency heads should notify any key personnel who need to report to work prior to 10 a.m.
- After consulting with the National Weather Service, Gov. Phil Bryant has closed all state offices impacted by winter weather, including those in the Jackson area Capitol Complex, for Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014. State agency directors have discretion on bringing in essential personnel for the day. Gov. Bryant and the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency will continue to monitor the winter weather situation overnight and make further decisions as needed.
- State of Emergency issued in Pascagoula at 8:32 a.m. this morning by Mayor Pro Tempore, Freddie Jackson.
- Ingalls Shipbuilding facilities in Pascagoula and Gulfport closed at 11:00 a.m. today Tuesday Jan. 28 to all employees except for essential personnel as notified by their supervisors. Second and third shifts for both shipyards are also cancelled for Tuesday, Jan 28. All shifts at facilities in Avondale, LA, Pascagoula, and Gulfport will be closed tomorrow, Wednesday Jan. 29th. Ingalls employees are encouraged to call the company's emergency information phone line for any future work schedule changes and updates. Employees should call: 1-877-871-2058 (Press 2 for Ingalls).
- Due to extreme weather conditions and road closures, Signal International, LLC is shutting down Mississippi operations this afternoon @ 12:30 p.m. and resuming work on Thursday morning 1/30/14. Personnel should not report for work for the next three shifts (night shift tonight & both shifts tomorrow).
- All locations of Navigator Credit Union will close at 1:00 p.m., Tuesday, January 28, 2014. Updated Hours of Operation will be posted on Navigator's website and Facebook pages. For further details, contact Kathy Scarbrough at 228-218-1214.
- As of now the Bayou Portage Draw Bridge and the David LaRosa Bridge on Henderson Ave in Pass Christian are closed. Ice is beginning to accumulate so please stay off the roads and if you have to get out exercise extreme caution. Stay tuned to the local news for more information. Also visit the Harrison County website at www.co.harrison.ms.us for further information.
- The Gulfport Police Department is preparing to close the Wilkes Bridge due to ice forming. The City of Gulfport Public Works Dept. is distributing sand over the Kremer Bridge (Magnolia Street) at this time. This will be the only access to the area north of the Kremer Bridge. We are asking all motorists to reduce their speeds when approaching the Kremer Bridge.
- The Seabee Public Affairs says the base will remain closed until noon Wednesday.
- As of 3:20 p.m. on 28 January 2014, the Ocean Springs Police Department has closed the Ft. Bayou Bridge due to inclement weather (icing on the bridge) until further notice. The Biloxi Bay Bridge is currently open for now.
- The Harrison County Board of Supervisors have closed ALL County office buildings for business operations. Non-essential personnel should not report to work on Wednesday, January 29th. Employees need to contact department heads and monitor media and/or the county website for further instructions. Stay tuned to the local news for more information. Also visit the Harrison County website at www.co.harrison.ms.us for further information.
- ALL bridges on Back Bay have been closed as well due to icy conditions.
- The Harrison County Utility Authority and Waste Pro have decided to cancel solid waste collection Wednesday. They will begin collection Thursday, weather permitting. The areas that were missed today and will be missed tomorrow will be picked up as normal on Friday and Saturday.
- The Popps Ferry Bridge is now closed due to ice accumulation and a mechanical failure. Also, all bridge north of the bay are beginning to ice over.
- Snow and ice in parts of Mississippi Power's service territory will necessitate bill payment offices to remain closed Wednesday, Jan. 29 in parts of the Coast Division - Hancock, Harrison, Jackson and Stone counties. Mississippi Power's Pine Belt Division offices in Forrest , Pearl River, Lamar, Marion, Perry, Jasper, Smith, Wayne and Jones will also be closed. The company's Meridian Division offices will reopen at noon tomorrow.
- Mississippi Power has experienced isolated outages today, but system has performed well and we've experienced minimal customer impact at this time. If customers do experience an outage, they can report and track the status of their outage on their phone, tablet or laptop via our Online Outage Map at www.mississippipower.com. Customers can also report outages by calling 1-800-ITS DARK. For any other inquiries, customers can speak to a representative on our 24/7 customer service line at 1-800-532-1502. Mississippi Power will continue to provide timely updates. Media partners are welcomed to call the 24/7 media line at (228) 861-5543.
- University of Southern Mississippi operations in Hattiesburg and on the Gulf Coast will remain closed on Wednesday, Jan. 29, as a result of severe winter weather conditions. All classes and University operations at all locations are scheduled to resume on Thursday morning.
The Southern Miss community is also advised of the following:
* Students living on the Hattiesburg campus are advised to use extreme caution if traveling by foot on campus.
* Food services on the Hattiesburg campus will again be available on Wednesday at the Fresh Food Company and Seymour's from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
* The University will consider all parking zones "open" throughout Wednesday.
* The University Police Department will be open. Should non-emergency assistance be required, please call 601.266.4986. In an emergency, call 9-1-1.
* The Beedie Smith Health Clinic will be closed on Wednesday.
* Non-essential employees are advised to refrain from coming to campus while the University is closed.
For continuing updates, visit southernmiss.info
- All office personnel and 1st shift employees for all plants for Howard Industries will not report to work on Wednesday. Second and third shifts will work as scheduled on Wednesday. All employees will report to work as normal on Thursday.
- The Biloxi-Ocean Springs Bridge is now closed and will remain closed at least until daylight, depending on the weather conditions.
- City of Pascagoula offices are scheduled to open at 10 AM. This opening is subject to change should the situation change/deteriorate. Please check cityofpascagoula.com for updates.
- Memorial Hospital at Gulfport, including the Emergency Department, will remain open; however, only inpatient and emergency surgeries will be performed on Tuesday, January 28 and Wednesday, January 29, due to inclement weather and hazardous road conditions. All elective procedures are canceled for Tuesday and Wednesday. Smoking Cessation classes are also canceled Tuesday and Wednesday. Memorial Immunization Van will not be operational until road conditions improve. Memorial Physician Clinics and Diagnostic Centers will be closed on Tuesday and will reopen Wednesday afternoon. The public is reminded Memorial Hospital is not a special needs shelter, and any such requests should be directed to home health agencies or call 865-4002 for shelter information.
- The Ohr-O'Keefe Museum of Art in Biloxi will be closed Wednesday. The Museum will re-open on Thursday.
- The Coast Transit Authority (CTA) has suspended its fixed bus route for Wednesday, January 29th due to unsafe roads. Stay tuned to the local news for more information. Also visit the Harrison County website at www.co.harrison.ms.us for further information.
- Keesler Air Force Base will remain closed through Jan. 29, and tentatively plans to re-open at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow Jan. 30. Emergency essential services will continue until then. Leadership will reconvene at 4:00 p.m. today for a reassessment on tomorrow. Keesler Air Force Base will re-open tomorrow, Jan. 30, at 10:00 a.m. Emergency essential services will continue until then. Personnel should exercise appropriate caution when traveling on slick surfaces. As always, subordinate commanders will maintain accountability of their personnel and have the discretion to adjust reporting instructions to accommodate unique missions or personnel situations.
- Hwy 15 and Hwy 67 have now been closed by local law enforcement. Big Ridge Road is closed and Big Ridge Bridge is iced over. Corso Bridge in D'Iberville is closed due to icing as well. Hwy 53 at Lizana School Road is now open but please remain cautious. Standing ice is on most other roads throughout the county. Temperatures will not get above 40 degrees today and will drop below freezing this evening. Stay off of the roads.
- All M&M Bank locations will remain closed today ( Wed ) and will resume normal banking hours on Thursday. Online Banking needs can still be accessed at www.mandmbank.com throughout the winter storm.
- Most Keesler Federal offices will open at Noon today, January 29th. The Stennis branch will remain closed. The Member Services call center is open normal business hours. Before you drive to any of the branches, please call Member Services at 228-385-5500 or check Keesler's website (www.kfcu.org) to make sure your branch is open.
- The Harrison County Board of Supervisors have decided to delay opening ALL County office buildings until 10 AM for business operations due to weather conditions. All Non-essential personnel should report to work at 10 AM on Thursday, January 30th. Essential employees need to report to work at 8 AM unless told otherwise by their department head. Stay tuned to the local news for more information. Also visit the Harrison County website at www.co.harrison.ms.us for further information.
- As of now the Bayou Portage Draw Bridge and the David LaRosa Bridge on Henderson Ave in Pass Christian are closed. Ice is beginning to accumulate so please stay off the roads and if you have to get out exercise extreme caution.
Stay tuned to the local news for more information. Also visit the Harrison County website at www.co.harrison.ms.us for further information.
- Based on current road conditions and information from local law enforcement officials and MDOT, Ingalls Shipbuilding locations in Pascagoula and Gulfport will remain closed tomorrow, Thursday January 30 to all first shift employees. The current plan is for second and third shifts to be open on Thursday. Ingalls employees are encouraged to call the company's emergency information phone line for any future work schedule changes and updates. A decision on the Avondale facility will be made later today. Employees should call 1-877-871-2058 (Press 2 for Ingalls).
- Biloxi Police have closed the Mississippi 67 and Mississippi 15 interchange because of hazardous conditions. Public Works Director Dan Gaillet reports that Popp's Ferry bridge will continue to be closed. Said Chief Administrative Officer David Nichols: "The bridge's surface is a sheet of ice." The Biloxi Bay Bridge remains closed, and I-110 south of Division Street remains closed. "The conditions on most roads continue to be dangerous, and we're expecting it to worsen," said Biloxi Police Chief John Miller. Local emergency managers, meantime, have released this morning's weather briefing from the National Weather Service Slidell, La., office.
- Biloxi Municipal Court is scheduled to be in session at its appointed time Thursday. Those with cases pending should plan on appearing as scheduled. The Biloxi City Council has meetings at 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. See original agendas at biloxi.ms.us.
- Mental Health Association of South Mississippi and the Opal Smith Day Center in Gulfport will be closed Thursday, January 30, 2014.
- Garbage pickup in Pascagoula will resume a regular schedule on Thursday. Garbage from Tues/Wed route of this week will be collected next week at the regular time.
- Due to hazardous road conditions, the Department of Veterans Affairs Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System has extended the closure of all outpatient clinics to include Biloxi, Mobile, Pensacola, Eglin Air Force Base and Panama City until noon on Thursday, January 30, 2014. The Biloxi VA emergency room will be open. All VA employees should report back to work by noon tomorrow. Veterans impacted by these cancellations will have their appointments rescheduled. GCVHCS Medical Administration Service personnel will call Veterans to inform them of their rescheduled appointments.
- City of D'Iberville offices will be open tomorrow, January 30, 2014 at 10:00 am. All employees are to report to work at that time.
- MDOT is reporting that the US 90 ramp onto I-110 in Harrison County has been closed due to weather conditions. Motorists should find an alternate route around this area.
- All roads are now open in D'Iberville. The weather is still being monitored and the public will be advised if any roads close tonight.
- All Biloxi departments and municipal offices will open at their usual time Thursday morning. Employees are expected to be at work at their appointed time, or as soon as safely possible.
- NASA's Stennis Space Center in south Mississippi will open at noon Thursday, January 30 due to potential dangerous road conditions during the morning commute. A liberal leave policy for NASA employees will be in effect for Thursday, Jan. 30.
- The Corso bridge and the Big Ridge Rd bridge over I-110 are closed due to the probability of icing.
- All locations of Navigator Credit Union will open at noon, Thursday, January 30, 2014. For further details, contact Kathy Scarbrough at 228-218-1214.
- The Popp's Ferry Bridge, the Biloxi Bay Bridge, the Lorraine Road bridge and the section of I-110 south of Division Street will remain closed through the evening and as late as mid-morning Thursday, Biloxi Police Chief John Miller said this evening.
- Trash pickup: Residential garbage pickup is scheduled to take place Thursday, weather permitting, the city has been informed.
City offices: All Biloxi municipal departments and offices will open at their usual time Thursday morning. Employees are expected to be at work at their appointed time, or as soon as safely possible.
Municipal Court: Biloxi Municipal Court is scheduled to be in session at its appointed time Thursday. Those with cases pending should plan on appearing as scheduled.
Council meetings: The Biloxi City Council meeting scheduled for Thursday at 10:30 a.m. has been canceled. Instead, the council will hold two afternoon meetings: its regularly scheduled 1:30 p.m. meeting and a meeting immediately afterward, to discuss social service spending. To see the original agendas and supporting documents for both meetings, click here.
Keesler: Keesler Air Force Base will re-open Thursday at 10 a.m. Emergency essential services will continue until then. Keesler warns personnel to exercise caution when traveling on slick surfaces. The base also note that even with the 10 a.m. re-opening, subordinate commanders may adjust reporting instructions to accommodate unique missions or personnel situations.
Public transit: CTA says fixed route service will operate as scheduled Thursday, but closed bridges may impact Route 4, serving D'Iberville/St. Martin, and Route 7, serving Ocean Springs. Service for senior centers and senior shopping will be canceled, but ADA service will operate as conditions allow. Beach bus stations will be closed Thursday.
County courthouses: Harrison County has reported that county facilities will re-open Thursday at 10 a.m.
Face it: Status reports are being posted more regularly on the city's Facebook page. Like the page so updates will show in your newsfeed. Go to facebook.com/cobiloxi.
2013 WXXV-TV and Morris Networks of MS
Feels Like: 75° F
High: 85° F
Low: 73° F
Wind: SSW 3 mph
Content from lowerright.ascx appears here.